Saturday, April 19, 2014

I didn’t believe in love. I stopped believing when I was eight and I heard my parents fighting in the next room, and my mother weeping as her partner of 11 years walked out on the three of us. I stopped believing in love because it’s been 10 years since that night and they still haven’t seen each other, and my mother hasn’t stopped crying.
I didn’t believe in love. I stopped believing when I was 17 and the only girl I had opened my world to picked someone better to love. I was left alone with a bottle of pills and a razor blade and I figured they were my love from now on, so I fell hard and fast. They held me at night when she didn’t,
I didn’t believe in love. I stopped believing when I started sleeping with girls with pixie hair and red lipstick that weren’t good for me, and who chucked me out of bed in the mornings without my underwear. They walked past me the following weeks without even a smile- I guessed that was my life from now on.
I didn’t believe in love, and then I fell asleep beside you and woke up happy. And I kissed you and realised I was coming home. Your kisses breathed life into my bones again.
— You showed me how.

No comments:

Post a Comment